Benefits of the therapy (Russian and Chinese)
I personalise massage or cupping, the same way as I personalise training for my clients.
Cupping was established as an official therapeutic practice in the 1950’s across hospitals in China after research conducted by former the Soviet Union (Russia) and Chinese acupuncturists confirmed cupping’s effectiveness. Cupping therapy is used in Russia for every occasion, cold relief, general aches and pains, muscle recovery and can be combined with a sports massage.
It is believed that cupping removes harmful substances and toxins from the body to promote healing. Once the suction has occurred, the cups can be gently moved across the skin (often referred to as “gliding cupping). The suction in the cups causes the skin and superficial muscle layer to be lightly drawn into the cup.
Cupping is much like the inverse of massage – rather than applying pressure to muscles, it uses gentle pressure to pull them upward. Once suctioned, the cups are generally left in place for about ten minutes while the patient relaxes, then cups are repositioned. The suction of cups can be modified to suit individual’s needs, so this treatment can be mild and gentle or stronger. This short video explains in more details the benefits of cupping:
The side effects of cupping are fairly mild. Bruising should be expected, but skin should return to looking normal within 3-10 days.
The other magnificent benefit to cupping is smoothing out the cellulite.
Cupping works wonders when it comes to getting rid of cellulite. Cupping works by stimulating circulation and encouraging the detoxification process – a technique similar to dry brushing, but on a deeper level. As the cups glide over the body they draw the skin into a vacuum, activating circulation and breaking down fat deposits that can cause skin dimples.
Watch this short video to see how effective cupping is to smooth out cellulite.
I use massage oils to improve movement of the glass cups along the skin. Once we start your cupping, I will ask if you have any nut allergies, to ensure that nothing drastic happens.
The cupping session is 60 minutes
Cupping for pain relief
- The session will include cupping itself, cupping massage, massage of the specific area (sports massage or relaxing).
- If I will find any knots from training, I will work on them to free you up.
- You are asked to wear loose clothing
Cupping for cellulite
- The session will differ from the above treatment.
- Cupping used will be different to the cupping used for the above treatment.
- Women have cellulitis on legs and bottoms, hence, you are asked to wear lose bottoms and thongs (so that we can work on the gluteal area)
Research and clinical trials suggest that cupping therapy treatments alone in effecting a cure for herpes zoster, acne, facial paralysis and cervical spondylosis
- Cao, H., Li, X., & Liu, J. (2012). An updated review of the efficacy of cupping therapy. PloS one, 7(2), e31793. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3289625/
Traditional Chinese Medicine: In Depth (2013). The National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH). https://nccih.nih.gov/health/whatiscam/chinesemed.htm
- Chirali I. (2014). Benefits of Cupping Therapy. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-7020-4352-9.00004-7
- Mehta, P., & Dhapte, V. (2015). Cupping therapy: A prudent remedy for a plethora of medical ailments. Journal of traditional and complementary medicine, 5(3), 127-134. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4488563/